In preparation for the sixty-second session of the Commission on the Status of Women, UN Women convened an Expert Group Meeting on the priority theme: “Challenges and opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls.” The Expert Group Meeting was co-convened by the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and World Food Programme (WFP) at IFAD Headquarters in Rome, Italy, on 20 to 22 September 2017.
See the expert papers below to prepare yourself for the issues relevant to CSW62.
In addition, NGO CSW/NY Intern, Alexandra Lukamba, outlined an online conversation from the Global Forum on Food Security and Nutrition by UN Women and the FAO on ”Rural Women: striving for gender transformative impacts”.
Priority theme: “Challenges and opportunities in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls.”
Review theme: “Participation in and access of women to the media, and information and communications technologies and their impact on and use as an instrument for the advancement and empowerment of women”
For more information, please see http://www.unwomen.org/en/csw/csw59-2015
- Jane Meriwas, Samburu Women Trust
Rural Indigenous Women and Girls Livelihoods in Kenyan Drylands
- Nino Gamisonia, Georgian NGO Rural Communities Development Agency
Challenges and Opportunities for Equal Participation of Women and Girls in Rural Development in Georgia
- Crystal Simeoni, FEMNET
It’s just location: Examining the intersectionalties of rural women
- Amon Chinyophiro, MERAMO Consulting
Gender in Food and Nutrition Security: Towards Attaining the Right to Food
- Maria Luisa Mendonça, Network for Social Justice and Human Rights; Women and ESCR Working Group
Women’s grassroots movements in defense of basic rights to land and food
- Christian Aurora Mendoza Galán, Instituto de Liderazgo Simone de Beauvoir
Rural women and empowerment within the context of the new exploitative realities in Latin America
- Barbara Van Koppen, International Water Management Institute
Rural women’s rights to water for health, food, and income
- Kate Lappin, Asia Pacific on Women, Law and Development (APWLD)
Enabling Just and Equitable Transitions through Rural Women’s Power
- Susana Lastarria-Cornhiel, Urban and Regional Planning, University of Wisconsin
Gender Equality and Empowerment Under Collective Tenure
- Adwoa Sakyi, International Union of Food and Agriculture (IUF)
Freedom of Association, the Key Enabling Right for Achieving Decent Work for the Rural Women and Girls
- Reema Nanavaty, Self Employed Women’s Association
Right to Food and Climate Resilient Agriculture
- Esther Mwaura-Muiru, GROOTS Kenya
Leave No One Behind, Starting with the Furthest Behind
- Ruth Meinzen-Dick et al, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Do agricultural development projects reach, benefit, or empower women?
- Mame Khary, Bioessence Laboratories
How to reverse the interest of youth and women in migration or rural exodus toward agriculture and rural entrepreneurship?
- Katia Araujo, Landesa
Bridging local concerns and global frameworks to strengthen rural women’s land rights
- Clare Bishop, Independent Consultant
Striving for gender transformative impacts in rural livelihoods