We encourage you to become a Member of NGO CSW NY. CSW 56 runs from February 27th to March 9th, and our Consultation Day is on February 26th, from 9-5pm, at the Salvation Army (14th St. between 6th and 7th Ave). The fee for Consultation Day will be $80. The Reception where the “Woman of Distinction Award” will be presented is going to be on February 28th from 6 to 8 PM at the Turkish Center (1st Ave). The cost is $40 per ticket.
NGO/CSW/NY sponsors a Handbook free of charge to all those who attend our Consultation Day. We depend on ads to pay for this handbook. To place an ad in our handbook, register in early November on our website: www.ngocsw.org. The new option for ads this year is to have your ad on our website for a full year after CSW.
UN CSW 56
Monday, 27 February to Friday, 9 March 2012
- Priority theme: The empowerment of rural women and their role in poverty and hunger eradication, development and current challenges
- Review theme: Financing for gender equality and the empowerment of women (agreed conclusions from the fifty-second session)
Soon-Young Yoon, UN representative for the International Alliance of Women, suggests the following papers as her CSW 56 recommended reading.
A very important way to carry your message to the UN Commission on the Status of Women is through written statements. Written statements to the UN CSW can now be submitted by NGOs in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council on the thematic issues of rural women or financing for gender equality. The deadline for individual organizations is 14 November 2011. The deadline for joint written statements is 21 November 2011. For more details, please see the NGO participation pages of UN Women, CSW 56.
UN Women has announced that pre-registration for the UN Commission on the Status of Women meeting (27 February to 9 March 2012) is open! Pre-register here. All invitations will be sent to the official e-mail address of ECOSOC accredited organizations on the CSO-net (ECOSOC Civil Society Network). Usernames and passwords for CSO-net are given to your NGO’s official registered contacts. Pre-registration information is available on the CSW 56 page.
The number of pre-registered representatives may not exceed 20 individuals per organization. As was the procedure last year, participants will need a secondary pass to gain access to the UN North Lawn Building. Please check to make sure that the email contact information for your organization in the iCSO database is up to date. Otherwise, your organization may not receive an invitation. More information is available on the UN Women website.
Reminder: Deadline is 15 November: Thanks to a contribution made by the late Ms. Yvonne M.T. Hebert, UN Women will provide funding to 10 members of ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations headquartered or with offices based in a Least Developed Country to attend the first week of CSW56, i.e., 27 February – 2 March 2012. ECOSOC accredited organization are welcomed to send nominations to email@example.com. For more information, please contact UNWomen.
Announcements from CoNGO and other NGO Committees
- NGO Committee on the Family: October 27th, this CoNGO committee is having a meeting at CCUN at 1:15pm
- NGO Committee on Health: Members are encouraged to submit ideas on what points to bring up for this committee
- NGO Committee on Ageing: Just had the annual day for older persons; this committee is working with the Health committee on a project
- NGO Committee on Sustainable Development: Meeting to be hosted on October 25th from 1:15-2:45 at the CCUN
- NGO Committee on Trafficking: On October 24th at 10am in the North Lawn Building there will be a meeting with the Special Rapporteur and an event at the US Mission afterwards.
- NGO Working Group on Girls: Meetings at Salvation Army on 52nd Street on 1st Thursday of every month from 2-4pm
- NGO Committee on Social Development: Meetings on the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 2-4pm.
- NGO Committee on Human Rights: On November 10th from 1:15 to 2:45pm “spirituality, environmental justice and human rights” event from Durban Plan for Action.
Our Next Monthly Meeting on November 17th will be on advocacy training. It is an evening session, from 6-7:30pm, at the CCUN. This meeting is for Members Only, so join now!