- The CSW has averaged investments of over 2 million US dollars per year (2000 NGOs x $1000 per person = $2,000,000).
- What is the result?
- Can we make it better?
Increasing its Value
- Improve preparedness of new participants, youth and girls
- Build long-term relations; Give NGOs a way to build trust, network, and a common vision
- Improve NGO credibility and visibility
- Build stronger communications tools and connect the CSW to the world
Open Our Minds to New Ideas and Partners
- Work collaboratively with CoNGO committees, Geneva and Vienna NGO CSW committees
- Use new modalities of parallel events such as training sessions and networking spaces
- Make sure that new participants are well prepared and mentored
- Bring the UN and governments to NGOs
- Caucuses are for lobbying – regional caucuses and one for Outcome document
- The purpose of these sessions is to engage “conversations” between groups around mutual interests, network to plan for future collaborations, including working collectively to implement the UN agreements
- They will be facilitated by NGO committees.
- Efforts will be made to also have conversations with governments at the UN.
- Can have at least 2 sessions; one with governments—possibly at the UN.
What Can You Do?
- Cultural event – can contribute $100 and do publicity but no fees
- Speakers for panels – no scholarships, provide bio, contact info AND check availability BEFORE nominating
- Work with the NGO Committees to facilitate the Conversation Circles
- Write original lyrics for “Keep on Movin Forward” verses
- Plan a demonstration for International Women’s Day, March 8 in front of the UN – e.g. yellow ribbons with “causes” written on it.
- READ, READ, READ – increase credibility and expertise – Study Group?
- We need public Wi-Fi at the Church Center so we can follow UN webcasts
- We need public Wi-Fi at the Church Center to webcast out and communicate the NGO CSW Forum to the world
Click here to view a PDF of Soon Young’s PowerPoint, which also contains a schedule for Consultation Day: 11.21.11 PPT