Internship & Volunteer Opportunities: 2017-2018
NGO CSW/NY openings for the CSW62 Season (September 2017 – May 2018)
About the Organization
The NGO Committee on the Status of Women is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing non-governmental organizations from around the world together to work towards advancing the status of women worldwide. The Committee has a membership in New York of about 250 individuals representing nearly 100 international NGOs. The Committee is affiliated with the Conference of NGOs (CoNGO) in Consultative Relationship with the UN.
The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY (NGO CSW/NY) organizes an NGO CSW Forum that includes an NGO CSW Forum Consultation Day and NGO CSW Forum Parallel Events during the annual UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) meeting in New York. The NGO CSW Forum is an open process, a democratic space where boys and girls, men and women can advocate for gender equality, development, and peace.
The Committee offers its members in New York monthly meetings and roundtable discussions on issues facing the UN and its specialized agencies that affect the status of women. In addition, the Committee hosts a listserv for communicating with members and has a website that reaches women worldwide. NGO CSW/NY organizes events for women ambassadors to the UN, the Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW), and the international NGO community.
This yearlong internship requires interns to work 2 to 3 days a week for a minimum of 12-15 hours. Interns will be assigned appropriately to assist the Committee in the preparation of various events and provide support to the NGO CSW/NY office for the upcoming NGO CSW Forum 2018 and UN Commission on the Status of Women session. Additionally, interns will be supported in getting involved with other UN and related civil society initiatives to further gender equality and sustainability. Full-time availability is expected and interns must work for a minimum of 30 hours during the forum. (Preference is given to candidates who can commit to the full-time hours required during the NGO CSW Forum). For more information, read our intern blog: https://www.ngocsw.org/about-ngocswny/blog
*Please note this is not a paid position.
- Young professional membership to NGO CSW/NY, Young Professional’s Network during the internship and free membership for one year after the internship is over.
- Participation in our mentoring program that enables the intern to be mentored by members of the Committee.
- Travel stipend to cover subway travel to and from the office for the duration of the internship.
- UN Badge and access to UN and related civil society events.
- Networking with UN staff and Civil Society members.
- Opportunities to collaborate with other NGOs, UN task-forces, Major Groups, and civil society groups.
- Publication on our NGO CSW/NY blog.
- Education in international relations, UN systems, NGO work, event planning, office administration, and advocacy.
Requirements for Internship:
- At least two years of work experience and/or practical experience in international settings
- Graduate students are preferred although undergraduates may apply
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff and volunteers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism
- Proficiency using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and mail merges, email and web searches
- Background in fields of Journalism, Social Sciences, Law, Public Policy, International Relations, Marketing, Communications, Business or related disciplines preferred
- Proficiency in one of the UN languages other than English is an advantage. Proficiency in French is highly valued.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements and would like to learn more about our internship opportunities, please submit your cover letter, resume, and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Internship” in the subject line. (ALL MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN PDF FORMAT AS ATTACHMENTs).
Due to high volume of applications, only successful candidates will be contacted. No calls or e-mails, please, regarding application status.